Tired of Reading? Please listen to the blog
India's medical education system is highly esteemed, but limited seats and intense competition drive Indian students to consider studying medicine in Guyana. Guyana offers compelling reasons to pursue medicine, being close to the USA with ample work opportunities. The Ministry of Education enhances the learning experience for international students. Affordability is a key factor, as Guyana prioritizes accessible education. TAU graduates are recognized as medical doctors in the US and Canada, while Caribbean medical school graduates gain acceptance. Explore this blog to understand why Guyana is a favored destination for Indian students aspiring to study medicine.
- 8 Reasons Why Indian Students Prefer to Study Medicine in Guyana
- 1. Geography and Language
- 2. Low Costs to Study MBBS in Guyana
- 3. Hassle-Free Admission Process to Study Medicine in Guyana
- 4. Affordable Cost of Living and Good Safety
- 5. Asians Enjoy the Food and the Mess Facilities
- 6. World-Class Education in Guyana with Well-Equipped Laboratories and Classrooms
- 7. Demand for Caribbean Trained Physicians in the USA That Continues to Grow
- 8. Opportunity to Take up Clinical Rotations in the USA
- What Makes Guyana Attractive for Indian Medical Students?
- Why Is TAU and Its US Track Option Popular?
- Advantages of Studying MBBS in Guyana at TAU
Students, who have passed their 12th exam and want to study MBBS, are facing tough times getting placed in their preferred colleges. They can choose to study medicine in India and pay high fees or go abroad. With several universities to study medicine finding the perfect option abroad can be a challenging process. However, many Indian students who aspire to pursue MBBS are increasingly opting to study medicine in Guyana. There are several reasons that make Guyana an attractive destination to study medicine.
8 Reasons Why Indian Students Prefer to Study Medicine in Guyana
Here are the 8 reasons why students, especially Indian medical aspirants, are increasingly choosing to study medicine in Guyana.
- Geography and Language
- Low Costs to Study MBBS in Guyana
- Hassle-Free Admission Process to Study Medicine in Guyana
- Affordable Cost of Living and Good Safety
- Asians Enjoy the Food and the Mess Facilities
- World-Class Education in Guyana with Well-equipped Laboratories and Classrooms
- Demand for Caribbean Trained Physicians in the USA That Continues to Grow
- Opportunity to Take up Clinical Rotations in the USA
1. Geography and Language
Students who plan to study medicine regard Guyana as an attractive destination, as it is located close to the USA. Another plus point of Guyana is that it is culturally similar to the many other countries in the Caribbean. Its excellent geographical location aside, the country’s main language is English. Therefore, students familiar with English medium education can adjust easily without having to learn an additional language. Several colleges in Guyana also offer medical degrees that are recognized by top organizations, including the WHO.
2. Low Costs to Study MBBS in Guyana
The main reason why students choose to study medicine in Guyana is that they are affordable. Yearly fees are quite low compared with doing an MBBS in the USA or India. Also, students do not have to pay to get admission and a medical seat, which is the norm in India. Thus, earning a Doctor of Medicine (MD, which is equal to MBBS) seat in the country seat in the country is an attractive option for those on a budget. The costs are also much less when compared with pursuing MBBS in other developed countries.
3. Hassle-Free Admission Process to Study Medicine in Guyana
Students can follow a simple process to find the best Caribbean medical school and enroll in it. Usually, there is one page for enrollment on university websites. Students can also pay their fees online and use their 12th standard marks for enrollment purposes. In most colleges, students just need to pass a simple entrance test to get a medical seat. As most Caribbean medical schools follow the US curriculum, students get access to high-quality education. Importantly, students who have passed NEET can use it to gain automatic admission.
4. Affordable Cost of Living and Good Safety
Safety is one of the major reasons why students prefer to study MBBS in Guyana. Students can take advantage of the safety features in universities to ensure that they do not face any dangerous situations. Within universities, students can mingle with others from various countries. Indian students who opt to study medicine in Guyana also fit in easily with the local culture as a large percentage of the locals are of Indo-Guyanese origin.
5. Asians Enjoy the Food and the Mess Facilities
With a large section of the population tracing their roots to India, the food available locally has an Indian flair. The food on offer in college run mess facilities in Guyana also includes a lot of Indo-Guyanese dishes. So, students don’t miss Indian food when they study medicine in Guyana. The availability of Indian food items allows students to adjust easily to studying MBBS in Guyana. The cost of living is also low compared with other countries, and students can keep within their monthly budget.
6. World-Class Education in Guyana with Well-Equipped Laboratories and Classrooms
Premier medical schools in Guyana, like Texila American University (TAU), offer world-class medical education. Students at these colleges get access to top-notch laboratories and modern classrooms. With access to highly trained faculty, students can take full advantage of the learning environment to excel in their exams. Also, the graduates get eligibility to take the United States Medical Licensing Exam (USMLE). Additionally, they can also take Parts I and II of the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination (MCCQE).
7. Demand for Caribbean Trained Physicians in the USA That Continues to Grow
In the United States, several students who have not got admission to a medical school are looking for universities to study medicine overseas. This has resulted in US citizens accounting for 60% of those graduating from Caribbean medical schools. Graduates from Caribbean medical universities such as TAU look forward to working in the USA. Additionally, there is a growing acceptance of Caribbean medical school graduates in the United States.
One major reason behind this acceptance is that the demand for physicians is growing faster than the supply. Moreover, according to a recent report from the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC), the shortage is expected to rise to 139,000 physicians by 2033.
|Projected Physician Shortages by 2033
|Nonprimary Care Specialties
|Other Specialties (i.e., pathology, radiology, psychiatry)
8. Opportunity to Take up Clinical Rotations in the USA
One of the major benefits of a Guyana medical school, notably TAU, is clinical rotations in the USA. For example, the MD program in TAU allows students to take two tracks. Students choosing the US track when pursuing MBBS in Guyana get accessibility to clinical rotations in the USA. These rotations are held at teaching hospitals in the USA and are helpful when applying for USMLE. Those students who do not want access to the US clinical rotations can opt for the normal track.
What Makes Guyana Attractive for Indian Medical Students?
Students take these points into account when opting to study medicine in Guyana:
- The MCI (Medical Council of India) recognizes medical college courses in Guyana.
- Students can get admission to an MD (MBBS) seat based on merit.
- Students do not need to achieve very high marks to get a medical seat.
- Students can opt to remain in Guyana and get a job in the country after finishing their course.
- There is no requirement for IELTS/TOEFL scores when applying to a college in Guyana.
Why Is TAU and Its US Track Option Popular?
Students from around the world prefer to apply for TAU’s MD program with a US track. Students also prefer to choose the US track because it gives them top-notch experience in clinical rotations. Importantly, the course helps students prepare themselves to face USMLE which will pave the way to have a medical career in the USA.
All these factors make TAU, a premier Caribbean medical university. The students who opt for the US track get suitable experience in the medical system in the United States. Graduates in the US track sail through USMLE and quickly qualify to practice medicine in the USA.
Advantages of Studying MBBS in Guyana at TAU
TAU has steadily built its stellar reputation and is currently a premier option among universities to study medicine in Guyana. The World Directory of Medical Schools (WDOMS) lists the university. International students specifically prefer the US track MD course as it offers several unique advantages.
Students who want to set up a demanding medical career in the USA choose the US track course because of these advantages. Students who take the US track in the Caribbean also get excellent training that is comparable with what is offered in the USA. TAU is, therefore, consistently rated as an excellent Caribbean medical school that offers quality education.