Tired of Reading? Please listen to the blog
Studying MBBS abroad at renowned foreign universities involves a straightforward admission process, but it demands hard work to excel. Applying to international medical schools requires considering various factors and seeking guidance from experts. An education from an international medical university offers valuable experience and specialized training in diverse healthcare fields. Many universities abroad allow undergraduates to specialize in post-UG studies. With MBBS admissions available without NEET, an increasing number of Indian students choose to study abroad, particularly in Guyana. Texila American University in Guyana provides a compelling learning experience, producing qualified doctors committed to their communities. Explore studying medicine abroad in this informative blog.
Medicine has been the most prestigious and popular career track for students in India. However, in recent times, choosing the country to study MBBS abroad and becoming a doctor is riddled with more hurdles than most other professions. Although the demand for the noble profession has been mostly undeterred, most medical aspirants will tell you that the process is becoming increasingly stringent each year.
Last year, nearly 13 lakh medical attempted the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test–UG (NEET-UG) for admission. According to the Medical Council of India (MCI), they competed for 63,050 seats from 494 recognized colleges and universities. It amounts to almost 22 students competing for a single spot!
You may ask why this is an issue. It is because India requires more doctors now than ever. Current estimates show that India has around one doctor for every 1,457 people as per the country's estimated population of 1.35 billion. This number is much lower than the World Health Organization's recommendation of 1 doctor for every 1,000 patients, and the kicker is that this ratio is only going to get worse as the population rapidly grows in the next decade.
Although there are a lot of institutional options for medical students to pursue MBBS these days, with so many possibilities with various pros and cons, students often feel overwhelmed. And with so much competition and limited seats on offer, pressure on medical aspirants is increasing.
To make matters even worse, the cost of becoming a doctor has increased rapidly, which is almost the same as pursuing a degree abroad.
So, what is the solution? Well, students have figured out that studying MBBS abroad is an excellent walk around to most of these issues. Let us elaborate on this further.
The Ease of Admission
As previously established, medical admission in India has become very competitive. This issue is especially prominent in India's top-ranked medical universities such as AIIMS (All India Institute of Medical Sciences) and others. The competition to acquire admission gets much more intense, depending on factors such as the level of study and discipline.
Besides, medical aspirants also have to deal with the pressure of preparing for the medical entrance exam, which is the NEET. Considering undergraduate admission at reputed foreign medical schools is often regarded to be relatively more straightforward. And the fact it offers admission for MBBS without NEET, a growing number of students from India prefer to study MBBS abroad.
Higher Quality of Education
Even though institutions in India offer good quality education and some exceptions even on par with their international counterparts, it is still not accessible to most medical aspirants due to limited seats and high costs. Most foreign institutions make up for this deficit and are lapped up by students from India. We will discuss the best countries to study MBBS abroad for Indian students later in this article.
Better Post-Graduation Specialties and Foreign Emigration Pathway
Many of the international medical universities also offer a broader range of specialties for medical candidates that can be pursued as soon as they complete their UG if they wish to specialize in a specific field of study. Emigration is also one of the critical factors that come into play for medical aspirants who also intend to settle abroad.
Clinical training (rotations) forms the most important part of medical education, and hence, it should be given due consideration. Patient interaction is critical during clinical rotations. Language is a major barrier in many countries where the patients speak different languages and students are often left without a proper understanding of the clinical scenario. Access to patients is another factor to be considered, as many universities with an increased number of students fail to provide students with sufficient patient encounters.
With that covered, let us see which are the best countries to kickstart your medical career at an affordable cost. We will also cover the pros and cons of each country to allow for a more fundamental understanding of the nation's medical, and educational prospects for Indian medical students.
China has been a popular choice for medical students from India due to its cost and high-quality education.
- Quality education
- Recognized by the MCI
- Similar cost of education as compared with medical institutions in India
- Food and culture are radically different compared with India and can be hard to adapt for some
- Language barrier
The Philippines has recently been a popular option due to its proximity to India and the low costs of medical education.
- Proximity to India
- Low cost of education
- Broad choice universities to study medicine from
- Low cost of living
- The quality of education can vary depending on the chosen university
- Food and culture can put off some people
- The country is prone to dangerous climatic conditions
Ukraine has also been a new and popular choice for medical students from India recently. Here are its pros and cons.
- Proximity to India
- Ukraine has European roots and is widely considered to be the closest European medical studies experience for students with a tight budget
- Similar cuisine and culture to India can ease a candidate’s stay during the study
- Ukraine follows a 5.8-year course duration
- Climate can vary drastically during days and nights
- Language barrier
- Unlike other countries, the academic quality of medical universities in Ukraine is yet to be proven
Russia has been a top choice for medical aspirants in India since 1996. However, the country has strict emigration policies for students and forces students to learn the language to become eligible and to study. But still, that didn’t stop more than 3,500 Indian students who applied for MBBS in Russia last year.
- Russia has one of the best medical education systems in the world.
- Recognized by the MCI
- Lauded for its value-for-money proposition
- The country has a frigid climate that might not be suitable for everyone
- Classes are conducted only in the Russian language from the fourth year, so you are forced to learn the language
- The course duration is six years
- Food and culture may not be of everyone's liking
- Some cities have a high cost of living
Guyana has always been a favorite for many US candidates, but it is now quickly becoming the top spot for medical education among Indians. Compared with other countries, Guyana can be the most-preferential study destination for Indian medical aspirants. It offers many advantages as compared with other medical education destinations on this list.
- Top medical schools in Guyana offer a higher acceptance rate for the admission process and do not have entrance exams like other countries and is where top Caribbean medical universities reside
- They are cheaper than most medical institutions in India
- They also adopt rolling admission and accelerated learning programs so that students who have missed out on an academic year can get an opportunity to join.
- They follow a US-based medical curriculum and offer clinical rotation, which brings out the best in students.
- Guyana has a tropical climate similar to India.
- Guyana also has a sizable Indian population, and the majority of the citizens are English speakers, so adapting is easy.
- There are sufficient patient interactions for students during clinical rotations.
- Adequately accredited are few and in-between you have to be wary of this fact during your research before choosing
- Distance from India might put off a few
Medical University in Guyana
Texila American University (Texila) is a medical university in Guyana. Inaugurated in the year 2010, Texila has campuses in Guyana and Zambia. This esteemed university is intended to provide students with a compelling learning experience.
With over 4,500 students from 70+ countries, Texila is a reputed player in the global medical education sector. With established international partnerships across the globe, Texila is committed to excellence in higher education, research, and innovation.
Why Should You Choose Texila for Your Medical Education?
Texila offers a 4-year Doctor of Medicine (MD) program with the US curriculum and provides a comprehensive approach to healthcare. We aim to strike a balance between promotive, preventive, curative, and rehabilitative healthcare. The MD program is holistic and designed to instill in students the requisite knowledge and skills. Thereby, they can function as global medical professionals.
When you study at Texila, you can:
- Learn through practical exposure;
- Improve cognitive and communication skills;
- Improve teamwork and community skills; and
- Develop leadership skills and extensive domain knowledge.
Available Key Features to Study Medicine
- Facilities and infrastructure
- State-of-the-art, environmental-friendly campus
- Air-conditioned classrooms equipped with OHPs and PA systems
- Avant-garde research facilities for medical and natural sciences
- Extensively equipped library with both physical and ebooks
- Computer-assisted language laboratory, sick-bay room, and reading room
- Clinical rotations at affiliated hospitals in the USA and Guyana
- Low faculty-student ratio
- World-class faculty from the USA, the UK, India, and the Caribbean region.
Student Life at Texila
At Texila, we recognize the importance of balanced learning. Besides, we aim to ensure a holistic environment that includes several extra-curricular activities. Activities such as sports, debates, and community engagement are encouraged and nurtured. With international students from over 15 countries, our diverse environment enhances cross-cultural bonding as well.
With this, we hope that choosing a country to study mbbs abroad in will be easy for your medical career. Good luck!